Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Last week we were assigned to experiment with language. First I had a conversation for 15 minutes where I was not allowed to use any version of symbolic language. I was only able to use hand signs, body language and non-verbal vocalizations while being unable to use any form of language vocal or in written form. Next we were to communication where I would only use verbal communication. These experiment show the importance of both verbal and non-verbal communication.
I found it difficult to converse without the use of communication. Clear articulation was almost impossible. The converse consisted of several hand gestures. My partner controlled the flow of the conversation while I could mostly answer with a head shake or a thumbs down. I would try to convey questions like a game of charades with little success. I was able to  easy ask for a drink of water by make the hand motion but I could not ask my partners thoughts about Game of Thrones, probably due my terrible hand motions, demonstrating that I as incapable of articulating complex ideas. My partner became frustrated mostly because he sometimes not interpret my hand motions. It came to the point where my partner would ask a series of questions to me and I would reply with a shrug or a head nod.
Being unable to express complicated ideas can be a huge detriment. If my partner and I represented two different cultures my partner’s cultures will be miles ahead in terms of communication. That culture would be able to communicate complex ideas such as battle plans and take my culture out. Our society respects great speakers. Any great leader must also a great speaker. Unfortunately we look down at other individuals who have difficulty communicating with a spoken language. Not only does our culture mocks those who have lisps or are even deaf, but they also to believe them to be stupid which is often not the case. We value well spoken individual sometimes to our detriment.  
When I had to converse with only the spoken communication, our conversation still had trouble flowing. While it was difficult to restrict facial reactions, we breezed through our 15 minute discussion. My partner described our conversation as awkward because I would simply speak in a monotone voice. I believe body movement makes our conversations more lively. Its the human reactions that makes the conversation not the words behind it. This is evident in text messages where there shouldn’t be any human reaction. We instead attempt to put in human emotion through text with emoticons and acronyms for emotions like “lol.”
There are people who have difficulty reading body language, namely people with aspergers syndrome. Since nonverbal communications is what makes us human, people with aspergers often become ostracized. Understand body language helps bring a sense of community which the brings a group closer together. However, reading bodily can also not always be beneficial. People can fake non-verbal cues to convince people of a lie, however, in general being able to understand and read body language is helpful.

1 Comments:

At July 30, 2014 at 9:41 PM , Blogger L Rodriguez said...

Good description of the Part A experiment, particularly of the frustrations you experienced during the process.

"Not only does our culture mocks those who have lisps or are even deaf, but they also to believe them to be stupid which is often not the case."

Yes, we make an association between language and intelligence. Why do we do that? As you point out, it is not a valid parallel, and yet that is what we do. The same thing happens with people coming to the US and learning how to speak English. There is a tendency to assign value to the person depending upon their ability to speak... we see this in the political discussion on immigration all the time. It is worth exploring why we make this connection in order to understand how we might stop it.

Yes, good connection with the use of emoticons in our texting to body language in spoken communications. But I would suggest it isn't just adding emotion to the communication. It provides clues as to meaning and it also adds validity to the words. Humans use body language to confirm that the spoken words are true. You say you are sad, but is that what your body language says? If yes, great. If not, we proceed cautiously. If there is no body language, we don't know what to think or believe and feel uncomfortable in the exchange, much like your partner described... "awkward".

Yes, all those in the autism spectrum have difficulty to some degree reading body language.

Yes, body language can be faked, but not reliably over an extended period of time. But can you think of a situation where body language might mislead you? Not intentionally, but where you misread the cues? Do all cultures use the same system of body language that we do?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home